Once in a Blu Moon

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Goals Abound

I'm a firm believer that if you are taking something seriously, you have to set goals.

Don't get me wrong, poker is my passion. I think about it more than anything else at this point in my life. I could play all day every day and never be bored with it. That being said, I have decided to set monthly profit goals for my play. I have based my goal on the amount of time I have to play while working full-time, the limits where I am comfortable playing, and taking variance into account.

Drumroll....I figure that $2000/month is my starting point. If I make more, I will adjust my goal accordingly. I play every day even if its just for an hour or two. My goal is less than $70/day on average. I think about $70 and remember how many days I have won this much and been disappointed with the result. Sometimes I get into a pattern where if I don't win $300, $400, or $500 then I consider it a bad day.

I wasn't thinking big picture. You have to think big picture. I must have read this over and over again in Super System and never really digested it completely.

I am still going to play in the Sub-qualifiers at Party Poker to get into single table qualifiers for the bigger tourneys. I would like to play in 2-3 big tourneys/month because I love the rush of playing for the big $$. But my focus will remain on grinding out my small daily wins to meet my goal.

Poker is now my 2nd job - no longer a hobby. It has to be that way so I can push myself to the next level.

L8r...

Blu

2 Comments:

  • Glad to see you posting again! My goals are 1 buyin a night playing 2 tables. I think that is modest. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I do not, but I shoot for that.

    5/10 is sweet! I have not done two tables yet, but I might start. I would like to have a little more in the Bankroll since the swings can be larger. So far I have not posted a losing night, but no monsters either. Taking it slow and easy!

    By Blogger SirFWALGMan, at 10:51 AM  

  • IMO results are the worst way to measure Poker success. If you think you are a better player because you make more money, you might not be looking at the whole picture. Just because some guy out-draws you with his two-outer and takes your stack, does that make him a better player than you? No, probably not.

    Your goal should be to become a better player, not to make more money. Money is just an extra benefit to playing better poker. It is neither guaranteed nor an accurate way to measure that development.

    By Blogger DuggleBogey, at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home