Once in a Blu Moon

Friday, August 27, 2004

Mistakes a plenty

I really know better than to play any poker after an argument. That being said, I was just about to sit down and play in the Party Poker satellite that gets you an entry in one of the weekday major tournies when my girlfriend decides she wants to have a "do you like poker more than me" discussion.


The tourney starts at 1030p est and she is asking me this question at 1026p est. How do I get out of this w/o an argument? I'm literally sitting in front of the computer with the poker screen open and trying to tell her how much she means to me in under 4 minutes. Well, needless to say, it didn't go well. Then, I sit through 3 orbits w/o a hand, and finally get Ah Kh in MP. I raise 5x the BB and get 5 callers - (gotta love the satellite play early on). Flop comes 10s 10c Kc - I decide to go all in (I know - bad play) and get called in 3 places (2 flush draws, and the winner of the hand who held highly powerful Q10o). Out 40 minutes into the tourney.


I made the $ back at the ring games but I broke one of the cardinal rules of poker and played when my head wasn't in the game. To add insult, my girlfriend comes back later and asks "Did u win?" ...

Blu

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the link up. I finally added your site to my blogroll. Best of luck with your blogging and poker futures. See you around and at the tables!!

    By Blogger Pauly, at 1:30 PM  

  • OH.... and never play if you are not in a proper headspace. I've lost a few hundred dollars in random games/SNGs/Party sessions because my mind was not focusing on the task in front of me.

    By Blogger Pauly, at 1:32 PM  

  • My wife knows where poker stands in my priorities, but urgency is different than importance. My family is the most important thing in the world to me, but 4 minutes before a tournament starts, the tournament is the most urgent thing on my mind. It took a few times explaining this, but the catalyst for the sit down talk was when the wife wanted my full attention during a big hand where 4% of my bankroll was at stake.

    Maybe the urgency versus importance talk could work for you.

    doubleas

    By Blogger doubleas, at 4:06 PM  

  • Thank you for feedback Dr. P/Double A's - I think I'll have to have the sit down very soon.

    Blu

    By Blogger Blu, at 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home